Friday, December 17, 2010

Mixed bag of winter goodness



This is only the beginning of the loot we will have received from my in-laws before winter is over. Nate's parents did a huge garden this summer. All the potatoes in that bin are those that we brought back with us after Thanksgiving. We have used about a quarter of them. My parents picked up those butternuts for us in Amish country, so they aren't home-grown from someone I know. The onions were a give from above, and by above I mean Harps. Harps is one of my favorite grocery stores ever, and we have a brand-spanking new one in the "city" that is close enough for us to go to with some regularity. Hallelujah!

But I digress. More Ohio goodies. The winter squash in this bag are also from the in-laws. It is a mix of butternut, dumpling, pumpkin, and "other things I don't know" squash. I'm really excited to have all these veggies that will keep for a while, and its great to know that most of them came from my family.



Stay tuned for a post-Christmas entry featuring more canned and frozen things than I will know what to do with. From both of our parents. I think it will be fun to see how long we can survive without going to the grocery store.

These are the veggies. Carrots are from the store. I think that little squash is a dumpling squash. I would like a new peeler that will be useful on squash, suggestions?

My red fiesta turns burgundy when its in the oven, does anyone else's? The oven needs cleaned too, oh well.

I scraped the squash out and stirred it in with the rest.
We had this with grilled chicken kielbasa hoagies.

That's not a vegetable...



I also put together spiced hot cocoa mix to give as little Christmas/hostess gifts. I used cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. All that stirred in steamed milk. It was super good and pretty easy.
The presentation left a little to be desired, but I did these at the last minute and didn't get a chance to go into the "city" so I found these things at DG just down the road. I think the little containers are kinda cute.

1 comment: