Friday, January 7, 2011

More food

Nate and I had one of our first dinners featuring things from his mom and dad's garden. His parents grew more things than I can name here, so I won't try.
They did a lot of canning and freezing to preserve their loot from the garden. Some things they froze whole (like peppers) or just canned by themselves (like tomatoes and green beans). They also did batches of different recipes and then canned or froze those. For example, we have a variety of salsas, jellies, jams, and ketchup (I'm excited to try that).
So far one of the highlights are homemade jalapeno poppers. We had them with Nate's parents at Christmas, with my parents at Christmas, as a NYE snack, and last night for dinner. They are amazing, and some of them have bacon!
For dinner last week we had some stuffed peppers that they made and froze. They are amazing. They sent us home with stuffed sweet peppers and stuffed spicy peppers, so we tried them both. They were very good and I'm thinking that this is what I'll do with the frozen whole peppers they sent us.


To go with the peppers we also had canned green beans from the garden and pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce. Also amazing, of course.

see the cookbook holder Nate got me in the background? Its handy!

I had also done some bread earlier in the day so we had that too (bread from the cookbook Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, that cookbook probably deserves it's own post so I won't go into it here). To season the green beans I cooked them with a little apple cider vinegar, but I probably didn't need anything other than a little salt.
There are both of the peppers, Nate thinks the little ones are poblanos. They were more flavorful than "spicy." They didn't burn me like the poppers do.
So there you go, our first meal made primarily of garden loot. It was very good!
Here's to eating as well as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment