Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is my first Valentine's Day as a Mrs. and my second with my honey. I am making him dinner tonight, and he gave me a sweet card this morning.
I never felt particularly special about Valentine's Day day, but we went on our first (awesome) date a few days after Valentine's Day 2 years ago, so now it just makes me think of our first date, and I think we both knew where things were going after that date.
Our courtship took a lot of work, planning, and organization. That's what happens when you seriously date long-distance. Although we had to be organized and plan everything, but I don't think it never felt forced. It just felt intentional, and I think that's how life should be. It was a good lesson in romance for me. We have the rest of our lives for surprises and spontaneity. I now see the romance in sacrifice, plans, and doing what you intend to do so that you can be with someone you love.
Other than being honest and making serious decisions about being together, it truly took a village to keep this thing going. Since our Valentine's Day celebration is between him and me, I thought I would write a Valentine to some who helped make it all happen.

Nate asked me out because he wanted to, but also through the encouragement of his friends. I was flattered to have received their recommendation. David and Laura housed Nate on many of his trips to see me and David performed our wedding ceremony! He did such a great job, even though I interrupted him a lot. Everyone talked and talked about how meaningful his comments were. We love them!
My cousin Sarah and her husband lived about halfway between Nate and I when we were dating. Their home served as a "love nest" and rendezvous point for us on many weekends and we are grateful that they made room for us some weekends even as they made room for their sweet baby boy last year (oh gosh, it was the year before last). We shared a Valentine's dinner with them last year and it was so fun! We love and appreciate them too.
My Aunt and Uncle lived close to Nate while we dated, so they let me stay with them two summers ago so that Nate and I could be closer while we dated. We appreciate them so much, and had a great summer with them. We may not be where we are now if it weren't for them. Here they are with my mom. We love Paul and Mary!Here are some hearts for you for Valentine's day. Recipe from the Pioneer Woman, and VERY tasty. Homemade ice cream too!


So, there it is! Happy Valentine's Day! We will enjoy it and each other, thanks to our little "village!"
photo by Rima Cambpell

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I love it. We were just happy to see you guys all the time. :) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you! We want to come see you all soon.

    ReplyDelete