Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'll huff and I'll puff...

I shouldn't kid. But the wind really huffed and puffed out here. I'm sure that's not news to any of you because I've already spoken with most of you who will read this.
Last week I was at my parents' and I have a lot of crafty pics to show you, but that will have to wait.
Back to the storm.
Today, I drove in to town to get some candles and batteries. Last night when we lost power we were pathetically unprepared. I guess we weren't that unprepared, but I had to stay in the bathroom with the cat and a honeysuckle candle for about 25 minutes. Honeysuckle is a bit too sweet for a teeny room and me. So I got some unscented candles today. I took some pictures of the destruction as I drove past the Ranch. Pictures don't really express the feelings I felt when I saw what I saw.

We got settled in the bathroom once for the first tornado warning. After the first round we lost power, so we were settling in for the night when Nate got called into the ranch because they had some damage. He called while he was helping a police officer clear wood off the road to tell me to get back in the bathroom. So I did, with the candle, the cat, some entertainment, and the cello.

Don't worry, I quickly noticed the lit candle by the shaving cream and moved it.

I discovered during the storm that Kitty is probably a pretty good barometer for potential danger. First he was hidden behind the toilet. I gave him some treats and he came out. But he sat right on my feet, pretty tense.
This picture was taken without the camera flash using only the candle and the light of my head-lamp. So that I would remember always that I sat in the bathroom (I'm on a chair, not the throne) and crocheted by light of the head-lamp with the cat.
After a while, Kitty relaxed. I stayed put until Nate got home, but I'm guessing that by the time of this picture I could have come out of the bathroom.
So anyways, today I drove around. Nate told me to drive over to the ranch. I didn't feel right driving into it because everyone was hard at work. But I drove past the entrance.
These guys were just fine.
These are all from closer to the ranch.
These last three don't really do it justice. I don't know how to explain it other than to say that a bunch of trees were sideways instead of upright. So like I say, it is hard to describe it right.
BTW
Happy Easter everyone. We spent it driving, but yesterday and today I couldn't stop thinking about this verse:
I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite. – Isaiah 57:15

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are all ok, including the cello. Thanks for the update!

    PS Your kitty looks just like one of mine (she, too, loves Temptations).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are all okay. I wondered this evening about the water buffalo and we agreed they probably just stood there and watched. I love the kitty between your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the kitty between your feet but would have rather seen a picture of you wearing the head lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sula, I think I will be asking you questions regarding your fit to a T romper. I want to make one for a friend of mine out of a t-shirt I think she will like.

    Mom, I'm guessing the water buffalo were doing what those cows were doing the next morning.

    Dad, I didn't think to get a pic of that, but next time I will.

    ReplyDelete