Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Musical Offering.

I missed musical Monday!
But I really wanted to share some music with you because I've been up to my elbows in it, in a good way. I was going to post something I've been practicing, but I came across this and decided to share it.
I think it is truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. Maybe it's a little cheesy, but in some ways I think it does everything that music should do. The instrumentation is gorgeous, it's repetitive enough that you aren't jarred, it's not too long, it's a movement from a larger work that (for me) overshadows the rest of it.
This is Nimrod, from the Enigma Variations by Elgar. I played it in high school, and I played it in college. I think it is lovely and I hope you like it.
Something I just noticed: in the final frame where the camera is on Barenboim you can see the principal violist. He was a teacher at the summer music fest. I went to in college. He was completely brilliant and full of hilarious maxims like my high school teacher was. That was a fun surprise for me.

2 comments: